Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Day one of exams

Not fifteen minutes before this mornings exam I SPLIT ME STUDENT CARD IN TWAIN!!! I was standing there chatting with friends, trying to cover the fact that I was shitting myself in fear of the fast approaching maths and statistics exam by twirling and flicking my card around in the air like an idiot. However a wayward flick sent my card flying, it was a tense moment. Our conversation paused as our eyes followed my card in its display of aerial acrobatics that would make a stunt plane pilot weep. The soft glow of the fluorescent tube glinting off the picture of my face with the look of eager anticipation and fear of the big scary world that is university life (which subsequently looks no different from my driver’s license photo). Time seemed to stop, I could hear my heart beat, and I could feel the oxygen and CO2 diffusing across the fused basal laminae of the alveolar epithelium and the capillary endothelium in my lungs. I was totally aware of everything but at the same time I was helpless. I watched my card as it hang in freefall above my head. Then as if someone had over-inflated my BCD I shot to the surface and immediately drowned in reality. I heard a distant laugh resulting from the telling of a crude joke by someone down the hall in an attempt to ease the tension of the approaching exam. I had little time to react; I stuck my hands out in a pathetic attempt to catch the tumbling card. Just inches above my outstretched palm an updraft originating from the vent to the lift shaft sent my card wild. Too late I realised something was awry. I drew my hands closer but it was too late so I bought my arm in like some cheesy warriors salute and caught my card between my forearm and my chest. The pressure was however too great. The intermolecular forces holding the plastic polymers together gave way and the card snapped. After an ‘oh shit’ from Nick and a ‘that was smart’ from Amanda my minded shifted from worrying about the exam to worrying about what the exam supervisors would say. Fortunately they didn’t give a toss.

After the exam and after a riveting train and bus ride home, I set about fixing my student card. Thank god for epoxy resins. At first glance it doesn’t even look like it ever broke but upon closer inspection a line of resin can be seen where the card was broken. A fine start to the exams I think not but I have five days until chemistry plenty of time to fuck around before some last minute cramming or solid studying from tomorrow onwards (I’ll flip a coin to figure out which).

4 Comments:

Blogger tonch said...

WTF where do you learn to write like that? Lol, that was riveting.. and educational too with the jargon in context! Maybe your UTS examo-nazis are less Germany 1939 than Usyd's ones.

The exam supervisor I had on Tues didn't even believe it was me in my photo. He came and inspected it halfway though the exam.. then came back AGAIN to inspect it AGAIN not 20 minutes later. Maybe he's just racist against Swedish people.

6:25 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jam-head, gotta agree with Tonch on this, I THOUGHT YOU WERE SHIT AT ENGLISH, but you have proven me wrong kind sir. If i actually understood all that fine sci-geek babble i probably would've jizzed on the spot.

A thing to consider, i know in the uni guidlines of USYD, it says that all that is needed is an acceptable form of identification, therefore Driver's Licence is totally acceptable. I'll have to get me one of those :)

1:48 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed a lot! missouri lawyers weekley Anit spam blocker win xp Hummer army home theater projector and screen packages avg anti virus Street scene ford expedition 03 body kits Mesotherapy tulsa Realestate maffra cleanser for rosacea Denver mattress company katadyn hiker water filter Anal wrecking Buy aspirin butalbital caffeine and codeine Kenyan adult videos Games on external harddrives http://www.aldactone-interaction-zocor.info/Relogios-ferrari.html Computer description   w2k girls in tight pants Tupperware patent Best skincare rosacea patients

8:42 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info Tadalafil 20mg from india satellite tv on the car Countertop fluoride water filter 459 1 baccarat 128 card graphic meg pci neurontin nuerotin http://www.ways-to-stop-smoking-8.info/Treatmenttoquitsmoking.html Plotters are designed driveway cracking http://www.nursing-jobs-0.info http://www.acuvueprescription.info/audi-a3-se.html

4:39 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home